Commitment: the state of being emotionally impelled to do something.
My commitment is to making art, loving life and doing well.
Daily Artworks... my continuing challenge for 2015: Observe and record. Record and observe. And stretch - s-t-r-e-t-c-h - myself.
What will I discover?
Tuesday, November 1, 2011
Preliminary Drawing - Pinware River 1
"Pinware River 1" Labrador
Digital Drawing - 800px x 600px
Water flows downhill, seeking its easiest path. As it flows, the water cuts its way through layers of rocky riverbed. Over time, at this place along the Pinware River in southern Labrador, a break in the rocks has eroded and become a funnel for the full force of the river.
This drawing is a value study for a painting I am working on. One of the tricky parts about painting water is that water tends to look like a mirror and not like a solid material. When the surface of the water is uneven, it reflects the texture of the surroundings to a viewer in unexpected ways. An artist has to take into account depicting the texture of the trees, rocks, clouds, as well as the reflections off the water. This drawing is a study in putting the lights and darks in their appropriate places to show these textures and surfaces.
- ► 2014 (206)
- Value Study - Summer Flowers: Clintonia
- Texture Study - Rocks, Ripples and Refractions
- Texture Study - Toad in a Jar
- Preliminary Drawing - Lodge Bay 2 - Ice Edge
- Preliminary Drawing - Lodge Bay - November Thaw
- Preliminary Drawing - Pinware River 5 - Rocky Text...
- Preliminary Drawing - Pinware River 4 - Value Sketch
- Preliminary Drawing - Pinware River 3 -Rapids
- Preliminary Drawing - Pinware River 2 - Waterfall
- Preliminary Drawing - Pinware River 1
- ▼ November (10)