Commitment: the state of being emotionally impelled to do something. My commitment is to making art, loving life and doing well.

Daily Artworks... my continuing challenge for 2015: Observe and record. Record and observe. And stretch - s-t-r-e-t-c-h - myself.
What will I discover?

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Preliminary Drawing - Lodge Bay 2 - Ice Edge

Preliminary Drawing for Bones of the Earth series
"Lodge Bay, Labrador 2 - Ice Edge"
Digital Drawing, 800px x 600px

Edges or boundaries mark where one thing ends and another thing starts.

The edge of the ice is the place where liquid water turns solid. An edge is generally not abrupt but rather is created as a process. The changes at the edge of the ice are gradual and are subject to conditions like wind and water current and temperature.

This drawing is another preliminary study for a painting I have underway. The drawing is done in a technique called grisalle, featuring marks of black and white on a gray surface. I like grisaille because it enhances the sense of three-dimensions in the drawing, and because it emphasizes the details the image that I will eventually paint in colors.
.

.

2 comments:

Gwen said...

How brilliant. Like the idea of this technique.
We must look after our edges, especially the icy ones...they are rather vulnerable these days.
Gwen xx

Mavis said...

Hi Gwen:

Thanks for your reminder about our need to look after our edges, icy, vulnerable and otherwise - I agree. I also think we need to be aware of the processes - all sorts of processes - that set our boundaries in place.

Watching the ice edge move, grow and fall away, is fascinating. But not always safe.

Followers

.