Commitment: the state of being emotionally impelled to do something. My commitment is to making art, loving life and doing well.

Daily Artworks... my continuing challenge for 2015: Observe and record. Record and observe. And stretch - s-t-r-e-t-c-h - myself.
What will I discover?

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Preliminary Drawing - Pinware River 2 - Waterfall

Preliminary Drawing for Bones of the Earth series
"Pinware River 2, Labrador - Waterfall"
Digital drawing, 600px x 600px

Over time, even the smallest waterfalls split open rocks and create their own erosion zones. This is another preliminary drawing for a painting I have underway.

This technique of creating an image in white and black on a gray background is called grisalle.
Grisaille creates an enhanced sense of three-dimensions in the artwork. Some artists use grisaille as the background for painting, because it gives strongly modeled forms. I am using it as a way to explore the way streams of water fall over rocks and break apart over obstacles in their way.
.

.

2 comments:

Carolyn Dube said...

I love water & you've exposed me to grisalle for the first time. I'm looking forward to seeing more! It does create such depth!

Mavis said...

Hi Carolyn:
Doing this drawing gave me a lot of insight into how water behaves. I think just keeping the colors to just black, white and gray helped me to see better. Thanks for your encouragement!

Followers

.