Commitment: the state of being emotionally impelled to do something. My commitment is to making art, loving life and doing well.

Daily Artworks... my continuing challenge for 2015: Observe and record. Record and observe. And stretch - s-t-r-e-t-c-h - myself.
What will I discover?

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Birches and their Neighbors - Day 14

Golden Birch Catkins


The Colors of Birch Catkins
- winter decorations for the garden 

Every few years, birch trees will produce a bumper crop of seed-bearing catkins. This year the birches are filled with dense clusters of these ochre-colored pendants.
The catkins create vertical patterns that look like golden chandeliers in the tree branches, moving gently in the wind.


3 comments:

Barbara Martin (@Reptitude) said...

Chandeliers! I never thought of that, thank you for the image!!! and gosh that IS a lot of catkins. Actually they remind me of golden spirals of dried rotini pasta?

I am not sure about the depth of field -- focus --on this one? I see lenticels clearly on several bits, less clearly on others, and it's so thin that I can't pull my eye through in a pleasing sequence. Does that make any sense?

Mavis said...

Ah! Good eye!! Depth of field it is!
1/100 sec @ f/6.3 with 200mm telephoto ISO 400. Shooting through about 35-40 feet of mixed bush, including birch, spruce, fir, red osier dogwood, fireweed and other jumble, to the hillside in the back. Focus at about 10 feet from the camera, through a second-floor double-pane glass window. Probable depth of field = five to ten inches.
I would like to try and shoot this again, with similar light conditions, increased ISO and smaller aperture for greater depth of field and more definition on the catkins.
Good observation! Thanks!

Barbara Martin (@Reptitude) said...

hahaha no wonder my hort-nerd eye was confusing my brain or vice-versa! Fascinating result with the camera eye....

Followers

Blog Archive

.