Commitment: the state of being emotionally impelled to do something. My commitment is to making art, loving life and doing well.

Daily Artworks... my continuing challenge for 2015: Observe and record. Record and observe. And stretch - s-t-r-e-t-c-h - myself.
What will I discover?

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Birches and their Neighbors - Day 31

Janus in the Birches  


Looking Ahead and Looking Behind    
- Much can be observed by looking backwards at a sunrise     

Janus, the Roman god of transitions, and especially the god of the New Year, is depicted as a two-headed figure who is able to look in two directions: to where we have come from - the past - and also to where we are going - the future. Janus is able to act appropriately in the present - now - because of being able to see both ahead and behind.
Similarly, I think, while I can get lovely sunrise photos by shooting in the direction of the sun, sometimes I can make even more telling photographs by observing the effects of that sunrise on my surroundings. These effects include capturing opposites like complementary colors in shadows, and revealing objects not in the image by the absence of the light they are blocking, and by enjoying the overall glow of the atmosphere.

And so with the New Year. Here's to Janus in the Birches, looking backwards at 2013, and looking forward to 2014. Best wishes from here for a Happy New Year!


2 comments:

Barbara Martin (@Reptitude) said...

Toward a glowing look back -- what a lovely thought. And a lovely photo. :)

Mavis said...

Thank you, Barbara, for the suggestion of Birches as a central topic for the month. It was a good theme, and I'm glad to read your comments and know you were enjoying the photographs.
More experiments to come!
-Thanks!

Followers

Blog Archive

.