Commitment: the state of being emotionally impelled to do something. My commitment is to making art, loving life and doing well.

Daily Artworks... my continuing challenge for 2015: Observe and record. Record and observe. And stretch - s-t-r-e-t-c-h - myself.
What will I discover?

Friday, December 20, 2013

Birches and their Neighbors - Day 20

Yarrow in Snow


Yarrow in Snow  
- a tiny celebration at my feet 

Making my way through an accumulation of snow, I nearly walked on this yarrow plant. It looked like a set of miniature fireworks, radiating an exuberant display of energy in the snow drift.
Yarrow is so common, growing by roadsides and in fields, that people may not even know its name, let alone its reputation. But Achillea millefolium has a medicinal history going back to ancient Greek soldiers who used its astringent properties to treat battle wounds. It is a common plant that is uncommonly useful and it is pretty, summer and winter.


3 comments:

Barbara Martin (@Reptitude) said...

This is such a great photo, the perfect illustration of why flower gardeners should leave things standing through the winter. Food for birds and other creatures but just as important, beautiful to look at, too. :)

Mavis said...

Reminds me of a setting of rhinestones my mother had years ago!

Barbara Martin (@Reptitude) said...

Starburst pattern! Umbel technically, I think, if I remember right. There is a pretty pink yarrow in my flower garden here, I planted it last fall. :)

Followers

Blog Archive

.