Commitment: the state of being emotionally impelled to do something. My commitment is to making art, loving life and doing well.

Daily Artworks... my continuing challenge for 2015: Observe and record. Record and observe. And stretch - s-t-r-e-t-c-h - myself.
What will I discover?

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Everything Looks Different at Night - Day 7

First Quarter Moon showing the Terminator   


Yes, We'd Like To Call It a Half Moon 
- but actually, that's a dessert pastry     

To be perfectly correct, our familiar "half-moon" can be either the First Quarter of the moon, or the Last Quarter of the moon. The First Quarter is the waxing phase of the moon between the totally shadowed New Moon and the totally illuminated Full Moon. Along the Terminator between "day" and "night," the Moon's cratered surface shows up well because of the contrast between sunlight and shadow on the crater walls. 


2 comments:

Barbara Martin (@Reptitude) said...

Oh that's funny! I looked and looked and looked at it and I kept thinking, moon? but that's a pancake but it's the moon?!? Lo and behold, it's a dessert thing so maybe that means a crepe. YUM. Close, but no cigar. Such a fun photo!

Mavis said...

It was so exciting for me to finally get this moon shot! But I'm still working on getting it better. :)

Followers

Blog Archive

.