Commitment: the state of being emotionally impelled to do something. My commitment is to making art, loving life and doing well.

Daily Artworks... my continuing challenge for 2015: Observe and record. Record and observe. And stretch - s-t-r-e-t-c-h - myself.
What will I discover?

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Art Every Day Month - November 3

Spooky Dead Plants
November Fireweed - Detail of 11" x 15" Watercolour on paper -
Study in silhouetted form

Source Photo

There are walking trails and bike trails running throughout our town. Part of my AEDM process this month is to go out for a morning walk along one or other of these nature trails, with a camera, and take photos that focus on some design element that I can use in my daily painting. My intention is to elaborate on that design element or concept and make an "abstract" painting for my daily posts. After a month's practice at abstracting, I hope that my realistic painting style will have loosened up somewhat. 

Well, that may be easier said than done...yes, my daily walking is a good habit, my daily picture-taking enhances my ability to use the camera, and my daily observation of design elements sharpens my perceptions. So far so good. Painting in an abstract style, however, is tricky. I am so used to using recognizable images in my artwork that they creep in unbidden right under my eyes.

So today's image... is it realistic or abstract? You be the judge.



7 comments:

bethania said...

Lovely drawing. For me it is not abstract, but it is very well done. Congrats. Why do you want to change your style?

Maron said...

I love things like this! Beautiful in it's simplicity...

Jen said...

Beautiful!

Tracey FK said...

I think it is lovely... you have captured the photo image so wonderfully in paint... you have retained the atmosphere ... lovely ...xx

Mavis said...

Thanks for your responses, folks.
I appreciate your feedback on the painting, that's one reason that these group challenges are so useful.
Bethania, I am more looking at ways to loosen up my realistic style than change it altogether. I am hoping that by abstracting the strongest visual elements in a picture, I hope to rely less on the Image and get more of the Feeling of what I am painting. Maron and Tracy, your remarks on atmosphere and simplicity is what I am aiming at! And thank you Jen for your encouragement.

Barbara Martin (@Reptitude) said...

The raven is missing. :) I love this one -- compelling.

Mavis said...

Of course! The Raven! :)

Followers

.