Commitment: the state of being emotionally impelled to do something. My commitment is to making art, loving life and doing well.

Daily Artworks... my continuing challenge for 2015: Observe and record. Record and observe. And stretch - s-t-r-e-t-c-h - myself.
What will I discover?

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Art Every Day Month - Post 11

Complementary Colors
Leaves on the Forest Floor - Detail of 11" x 15" Watercolor on paper -
Study of chromatic neutrals from complementary colors


Source photo
 Walking along the trail on an overcast day, I was not so much scuffing my feet in the leaves as simply looking at them. I was impressed with how brilliant the browns and oranges and the occasional yellows were - and how, well, unsaturated, or unnaturally de-saturated, the colours of the other leaves were.

It looked like I was walking through one of these special effects settings on a digital camera, you know the one where you neutralize all the other colors except the one you are interested in showing.

The two complementary colours I used in this painting are orange and ultramarine blue, and their various chromatic neutrals range through ochre tones to khakis and dark dull grays. I layered several coats of watercolor paint, which allowed the pigments to pool and dry on top of each other, and which enhanced some already interesting wet-in-wet effects.


4 comments:

Zue said...

Your watercolour is beautiful and really shows to best effect the strange goings on and the fabulous colours of the forest floor.
Must teach myself how to do the isolation-of-a-single-colour thing.
xx

Mavis said...

Hi Sue: Thanks for your comments and your phrase "fabulous colours of the forest floor."
It really is fascinating to just look for one colour and watch it pop against the other colours.

Julie Jordan Scott said...

I love the relationship between the colors in your watercolor. It seems to give them a collective heartbeat, as if the leaves are having a conversation (if that makes any sense.)

So happy to read you today for Art Every Day Month!

Mavis said...

Hi Julie: How interesting as you point out that relationships in technique help show other relationships in subject or in how a viewer interprets an image.
I love the idea of a dialog between the leaves in the forest, revealed in color and tone! Thanks!

Followers

.