Commitment: the state of being emotionally impelled to do something. My commitment is to making art, loving life and doing well.

Daily Artworks... my continuing challenge for 2015: Observe and record. Record and observe. And stretch - s-t-r-e-t-c-h - myself.
What will I discover?

Monday, April 4, 2011

Gradations and Textures

Gradations and Textures

.

Graphite on paper, 11" x 15" .





.

Today I sat with a quarter-sheet of watercolor paper and a regular yellow #2 pencil and started with a scribble drawing all over the page.

Marvellous things suggest themselves from scribble drawings, from observing castles in the clouds to perceiving methods of blending areas of tone.

In this drawing, I used two main ways of laying down graphite on the paper. One was sketching a sequence of curved lines, positioned close to each other, and roughly following the contour line of the "object" I was depicting. The other was moving the pencil lightly over the surface of the paper in a tight curlicue line, touching the same spot over and over to make it darker and darker. Each technique has its merits. I still don't know which one I like better.

.



.

No comments:

Followers

.