Commitment: the state of being emotionally impelled to do something. My commitment is to making art, loving life and doing well.

Daily Artworks... my continuing challenge for 2015: Observe and record. Record and observe. And stretch - s-t-r-e-t-c-h - myself.
What will I discover?

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Tonal Variations - Stripe

Tonal Variations - Stripe
.

Graphite on paper, 5" x 7.5"
.

While I have been able to achieve variations in dark and light tones using greater or lesser pressure on the pencil, another way to achieve a wide range of tones is with pencils containing different grades of graphite, from HB, a standard hardness, through 3B, 5B to 6B, the softest lead, containing the greatest proportion of graphite and the least amount of binder.
Using different grades of pencils, I was able to go from the lightest light grey to the absolute darkest shade. But watch out! That 6B graphite is so soft, it smears over everything it touches, hands, papers, fingers, clothes...
.

.

No comments:

Followers

.