Commitment: the state of being emotionally impelled to do something. My commitment is to making art, loving life and doing well.

Daily Artworks... my continuing challenge for 2015: Observe and record. Record and observe. And stretch - s-t-r-e-t-c-h - myself.
What will I discover?

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Tonal Variations on Rice Paper - 3

Tonal Variations on Rice Paper - Version 3 - A Different Pencil


.




Graphite on rice paper, 7" x 9"

.

Today I experimented with using a different pencil - it's listed as HB and a lot softer than the #2 pencil I used before. I drew on the fuzzy side of the rice paper, and I found the paper accepted the HB graphite much better - with less working to lay down layers of tone. Even though the paper surface did fill in with the particles of graphite, I was able to build up darker tones than before, and I was able to create a greater range of tonal variations.

Y'know, we assume that just because it's an ordinary pencil, it will do just an ordinary job, but I can say from these results that you'll only know if you try, and experiment to see what even the most common tools will do.

.



.

No comments:

Followers

.