Commitment: the state of being emotionally impelled to do something. My commitment is to making art, loving life and doing well.

Daily Artworks... my continuing challenge for 2015: Observe and record. Record and observe. And stretch - s-t-r-e-t-c-h - myself.
What will I discover?

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Art Every Day Month - November 10

Brushstrokes and stretching








Chinese brush painting is a difficult discipline.
For a skilled Chinese brush painter, the brush just touches the paper, and the strokes make beautiful pictures.
For someone unfamiliar with it, you start working on the art piece in a different way.
You hold the brush in a different way, and you make brushstrokes in a different way than you are used to doing.

Today I made 16 attempts of the hundreds of brushstrokes that I will need to render a credible leaf or blossom in this technique.

My process in this Art Every Day for the Month challenge is to push myself beyond what I know. So I experimented, I improvised and I tested.

And that's how I stretched myself today.


4 comments:

Barbara Martin (@Reptitude) said...

Before I read your note, I SAW LEAVES! That's almost spooky. Except maybe that it's autumn and they are swirling around us daily. :)

Meredith said...

Beautiful! Thank you for showing us a glimpse of your process as you learn a new technique. Part of being an artist is always being willing to be a beginner; right? ;)

Sharon said...

I can see leaves too. And I also noticed them before I read what you had written. If this is you just starting this technique, you'll be great at it.

M said...

I once took classes in Chinese brush painting . It was quite an experience because the teacher spoke no English except "like so". I learned the basics and was pretty impressed with myself. You have to practice, practice and practice some more.

Followers

Blog Archive

.