Commitment: the state of being emotionally impelled to do something. My commitment is to making art, loving life and doing well.

Daily Artworks... my continuing challenge for 2015: Observe and record. Record and observe. And stretch - s-t-r-e-t-c-h - myself.
What will I discover?

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Art Every Day Month - November 4

Backflow





Backflow in watercolor is the result of an intrusion from one area of wet paint into another.
Backflow could create an attractive marbled effect or it could spoil a painting.


Usually backflow comes as an accident – unwanted. However, if I interfere it’s not an accident any more, it is an experiment, and in today’s painting I deliberately set up the conditions for backflow to occur.

The extent of backflow is a function of how quick I am to intervene to prevent "ruin", or how long I am prepared to wait to see what develops. Today I waited. I had to let the entire backflow effect happen on its own.

Whether I accept the random results depends on how spontaneous or how controlling I want to be, with the painting or with myself.






No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

.