Commitment: the state of being emotionally impelled to do something. My commitment is to making art, loving life and doing well.

Daily Artworks... my continuing challenge for 2015: Observe and record. Record and observe. And stretch - s-t-r-e-t-c-h - myself.
What will I discover?

Monday, November 11, 2013

Art Every Day Month - Nov 11 -

Snow on the Riverbank


Snow on the Riverbank - an overnight dusting of snow

Source photo
There's just a riffle of a breeze on the water near the riverbank, but the overnight dusting of snow on the shoreline is undisturbed. The tree branches and the tall grasses on the shoreline have been able to shake the snow off, but the chilled moisture in the sand will be able to preserve the snow until the sun hits it and evaporates the white stuff.

4 comments:

Barbara Martin (@Reptitude) said...

What time is sunrise for you this time of year? I was imagining you getting up at the crack of dawn at odarkthirty and then I realized you live pretty far north. I am north but not as far as you and even I am getting up in the dark these days.

Julie Jordan Scott said...

Hi Mavis! I got your email and now I am praying this comment goes through. For some reason my comments are disappearing today.

I enjoy your photo a lot today. Being in Central California I don't see many pretty dustings of snow like this one.

I also enjoy the way you edited with a shade more sunshine - at least that is how it looks on my computer!

And yes, this year I made it one of my goals to check in with the artists above me and below me on the participant sign in page. The last few years I got discouraged about not getting comments. This year I decided instead to be excited about GIVING comments both to specific people as much as possible and then others, too, when I'm able. :~)

Mavis said...

Hey Barbara:
Sunrise for us in Labrador, eastern Canada in November is 7:00am-ish and sunset is 4:00pm-ish. First light is around 6:30am and full dark is around 4:30pm. Photo time is anytime I want to go out with the camera. Good point to ask about, those time changes.

Hi Julie:
I am glad to have your comments on the blog - it is a bit of a discipline, responding, and I see how being specific about what you respond to helps. My photo editing is mostly basic Photoshop operations: rotate leaning horizons, crop to size, lighten/darken usually with Levels command, and sharpen a little. Then optimize the jpg for online use. But when I let things go it can get pretty fancy, so I need to rein myself in sometimes! :)

Thank you both for being here, it's a fun way to keep ideas flowing.

Barbara Martin (@Reptitude) said...

OK Daylight today is 7:05AM to 4:47PM and losing 2.5 minutes per day, and that of course is assuming it is sunny enough to notice anything "bright" out there! wry :) ps Definitely makes me miss soCAL bigtime!!!!!

Followers

Blog Archive

.